Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Wheels of Justice

I recently was a court room administrator for Riverside County Mock Trial competition. All the area high schools put teams together. The county sends out an info packet with rules, etc. Also the information about the "case" to which they have been assigned. Our case was a Fourth Amendment challenge for illegal search and seizure done in the process of a murder investigation. It was pretty interesting.

I received a huge envelope of paperwork to pass out to the "Judge," the four actual attorneys that do the scoring; the student bailliffs and clerks, etc., etc., etc. Then I try and collect it at the end of the round and act all organized. I pulled it off pretty slick that night. I only forgot to give the judge her form for acceptable objections!

It says a lot about these teenagers who give up their time and energy to participate in this challenging activity. AND to their parents who support them. We had 16 court rooms, 16 real judges, 16 times 4 scoring attorneys, 16 court room administrators, etc. A lot of people involved in this endeavor. Good kids. It was a great experience! I go again in two weeks. They will have weeded out about half the teems so it will be even more impressive next time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Having had Ginger involved in mock trial for 3 years I can attest to the hard work of all involved from students to attorney coaches to volunteers and all the others behind the scenes...thanks Kay for supporting such a wonderful program.