I got a very interesting birthday gift this year. Trilogy homes are not known for their plentiful storage. There is no wasted space but the storage is minimal. I like to keep a FULL pantry and even store a few things for the day the government collapses as it has to do eventually if it continues down the path it is on right now. I had a Home Depot cupboard storage unit I was using for extra stuff but the problem is, in our California garages, the summer temps can top 120 unles sventilated. Yeah, we keep the garage door cracked, etc. But the is no real way of maintaining a temperature that stores food well.

We had a friend over that is pretty self sufficient and he recommended that we build out a corner of the garage, insulate it very well and install air conditioning. It sounded intriguing so we called a good friend who can build literally anything and asked his opinion.

He said it could be done so he and Larry started the very next day which was Saturday. Mike started a lot earlier than Larry wanted to but they got most of it framed, etc.

Then the question arose as to what materials to use: sheet rock and regular insulation? No. Mike took Larry shopping and they returned with an old restaurant refrigerator unit which they dismantled and installed the next Saturday. Then the door was put on (each wall has heavy duty hard foam, insulation) and we moved the cleaned and scrubbed shelves in and...wah lah! I have a huge storgage area that is automatically temperature controlled. Everything I have researched says all my stuff will now store for much longer time periods with the cooler storage area.
Larry put a sign on the door that said "Happy Birthday, Kay!" I moved in this week. I have informed the neighbors it is my Panic Room. Ha, ha. I plan to paint the exterior metal another color than gen metal gray. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment